MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elgin Centennial Plaque (Elgin, Municipality of Grassland)

Prior to the arrival of settlers from eastern Canada, the Elgin area was the center of the buffalo hunt between Whitewater Lake and the valley of the Souris River. Some of the first homesteads were taken up on 34-5-21W, the present site of Whitewater Park. As the population grew, the first store was built on 3-6-21W. Around 1 November 1898, the first train arrived in what is now Elgin, in the Municipality of Grassland, a name given to the town by the Northern Pacific Railway Company, probably named after the 8th Earl of Elgin. The first town lot was surveyed 14 November. By 1911, there were five churches and 42 businesses, including five elevators. This plaque was unveiled on 26 June 1999.

Elgin Centennial Plaque

Elgin Centennial Plaque (August 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.44427, W100.27048
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 19 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.