Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eldon School No. 867 (RM of Dauphin)
The Eldon School District was organized formally in December 1895 and a one-room log schoolhouse was erected at NW28-25-22W in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. In 1905, it was replaced by a brick-veneer structure. The school closed in 1961 and the district was dissolved the following year. The remaining students went to Brickburn Consolidated School. The building still stood as of 2012 although its exterior brickwork was extensively damaged. A small brick model was erected by former students in July 1992 using bricks from the school building.
Among the teachers of Eldon School was Lloyd S. Smith (1938-1941, 1945-?).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.
Obituary [Lloyd S. Smith], Grandview Exponent, 22 August 2006, page 23.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 August 2017
Back to top of page