Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ekford School No. 1135 (Municipality of Prairie View)

The Ekford School District was established formally in May 1901 in what is now the Municipality of Prairie View. It operated at this site from 1902 to 1959 when it closed. The remaining students went to Solsgirth Consolidated School No. 462. The school building is no longer present at the site but a plaque, dedicated in 1984, commemorates it.

Ekford School

Ekford School (no date) by G. W. Bartlett
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 64.

Ekford School commemorative plaque

Ekford School commemorative plaque (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.55034, W100.81941
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 22 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.