Historic Sites of Manitoba: Edmonton Duplex (368-370 Edmonton Street, Winnipeg)
Constructed in 1901 on a design by architect Johann Schwab, this duplex opposite Central Park is one of the few residential buildings left in downtown Winnipeg. It was built at a cost of $8,000 for Martin Hoover and Alfred Town, who co-owned the Hoover and Town Clothing Store on Main Street. By 1908, the partnership had dissolved and the duplex was sold. The interior has been extensively renovated but the exterior is largely intact. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Edmonton Duplex (2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.89490, W97.14880
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Some Old Winnipeg Buildings by Randy R. Rostecki
MHS Transactions, Series 3, Number 29, 1972-73 season
368 Edmonton Street, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 1984.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 January 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.