Historic Sites of Manitoba: Edison School No. 2091 (Municipality of West Interlake)
The Edison School District was organized formally in November 1921 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the northeast corner of NE36-23-7W in the Rural Municipality of Woodlea, in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. In 1936, the district became part of the Woodlea Municipal School District. It was reformed as a separate school district in 1958, becoming in 1967 part of the Lakeshore School Division. The former schoolhouse still stood at the time of a 2015 site visit.
Among the teachers of Edison School were Katherine Penner (1941-1942) and Catherine Fairlie Dowie (1942-1943).
School District Formation Files [Woodlea Municipal School District No. 1589], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Edison School District #2091 Daily Registers, GR3613, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional informaion used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 March 2019
Back to top of page