Built around 1920 by the Matlock Community Club, the name was changed after the communities of Ponemah, Whytewold, and Matlock amalgamated to form the Village of Dunnottar. It is similar in construction to the traditional Lake Winnipeg cottages, with a frame construction and gable front. It has the original siding, slider windows and hardware, doors, and the open ceiling trusses. The verandah section at the front entrance is a later addition, and the kitchen cupboards may date to the 1940s. This hall was an important centre for the community’s summer residents, serving as a venue for dances, lectures, teas, and church services.
Dunnottar Community Club Building at Matlock (February 2018)
Source: George Penner
Dunnottar Community Club Building at Matlock (June 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.43539, W96.95419
denoted by symbol on the map above
Dunnottar’s Significant Heritage Buildings, Heritage Manitoba.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Rose Kuzina, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 February 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.