Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dufferin Gang Mural (453 Main Street, Selkirk)

In 1942, more than thirty volunteers (including two women) from Selkirk joined the Canadian Armed Forces. The “Dufferin Gang” consisted of the 29 men from the same street who enlisted, among whom was Harold Little. He lost an eye in an explosion on the beach on D-Day but still rescued a comrade. When he returned to Selkirk after the war, he became a diver and underwater repair and recovery expert. In that role he maintained the Selkirk docks and explored wrecks of ships that went down on Lake Winnipeg. His diving suit and metal helmets are on display in the Manitoba Marine Museum.

Dufferin Gang Mural

Dufferin Gang Mural (May 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Dufferin Gang Mural

Dufferin Gang Mural (May 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.14697, W96.86980
denoted by symbol on the map above


Dufferin Avenue, City of Selkirk Museum.

This page was prepared by Rose Kuzina.

Page revised: 2 December 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.