Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Douglas, RM of Elton)
A wooden grain elevator at Douglas, on the CPR Carberry Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Elton, was built in 1937 by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company, replacing an earlier elevator dating from 1892. Sold to Ogilvie Milling in 1954 then to Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1959, a new crib annex was built beside it in 1968. The facility was closed on 31 July 1984 because the cost of upgrading it to meet modern standards was too high. It was later removed from the site.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Grain Elevators in Canada, compiled by Board of Grain Commissioners for Canada, Winnipeg, 1912-1930, 1930-1953, 1953-1998 [Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries], 1998-2016 [Canadian Grain Commission].
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
Homesteaders & Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality by the Elton Historical Committee and Garth Stouffer, 1973, pages 118-120.
Echoes of a Century, Douglas: 1882-1982 by Douglas History Book Club, 1982, pages 10-13.
“Pool adamant on elevator closing,” Brandon Sun, 22 June 1984, page 3.
This page was prepared by Brad Moorehead, Gordon Goldsborough, and Denis Sabourin.
Page revised: 14 July 2020