This striking two-storey building on Main Street in Winnipeg, with a conspicious terra cotta facade, was constructed by the Claydon Brothers Construction Company in 1907, at a cost of $27,350. The Dominion Bank (known after a 1955 merger as the Toronto-Dominion Bank) occupied the main floor until early 1980s, while office and residential space on the second floor was occupied into the 1960s. In the mid-2000s, the building was renovated into an architectural studio, with an addition made on its north side. A municipally-designated historic site, the building received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg in 2008.
Manitoba Business: Claydon Brothers Construction Company / Claydon Construction Limited
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dominion Bank Building / Toronto-Dominion Bank Building (440 Main Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Manitoba Restoration & Conservation Directory: Bridgman Collaborative Architecture Limited
Dominion Bank Building, 678 Main Street, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 2007.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, George Penner, and S. Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 May 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.