This two-storey building in downtown Russell was constructed in 1907, on the site of the former Hudson’s Bay Company trading post, using bricks made at Asessippi. The upper floor hosted meetings of the local Masonic fraternity, while the lower floor was used as retail space for hardware merchant William James Doig.
Memorable Manitobans: William James Doig (1867-1924)
Russell Historical Walking Tour, Asessippi Parkland Tourism.
We thank Rob McInnes and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 May 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.