Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dog Lake School No. 1562 (Municipality of West Interlake)
The Dog Lake School District was established in April 1911 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE28-23-7W in what became the Rural Municipality of Siglunes and later the Municipality of West Interlake. In 1936, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Woodlea Municipal School District. The original district was re-formed in April 1958 and operated until 1967 it joined the Lakeshore School Division. The former schoolhouse was later renovated into a private residence.
Among the teachers of Dog Lake School was Geneva Grace [Gray] Rowan Mattern (1941-1947).
Ashern topographic map, 62O/1, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Dog Lake School District No. 1562 Daily Registers, GR3613, Archives of Manitoba.
Obituary [Geneva Gray Rowan Mattern], Winnipeg Free Press, 5 July 1995, page C5.
Page revised: 20 June 2017
Back to top of page