Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dog Creek School No. 1939 (Vogar, Municipality of West Interlake)
The Dog Creek School District was established in June 1918 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in the village of Vogar in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division.
Among the teachers of Dog Creek School were Constance M. Moorbey (1936), Gudbjorg “Gertie” Eggertson (1937-1939), Jean Treleaven Tweed (1939-1940), Kathleen Smith (1940-1941), Margaret Helen Main (1942-1943), and Margaret Lambertson (1943-1946).
Photos & Coordinates
Alonsa East topographic map, 62J/15 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Vogar,” Stonewall Argus and Teulon Times, 5 July 1978, page 15.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Dog Creek School District No. 1939 - Daily Registers, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 October 2021