Historic Sites of Manitoba: DeWet School No. 2182 (Sewell, RM of Morris)
The DeWet School District was organized formally in July 1928 and a school operated at 1-4-1W in Sewell within the Rural Municipality of Morris. The school closed in 1969 when it became part of the Morris-Macdonald School Division. The former school building was renovated into a private residence. In September 2015, a sign commemorating the school was erected at the site.
Among the teachers who worked at DeWet School were Josephine Wilhelmine Uhrich (1928-1930), Margaret Ruth Waldon (1930-1931), Elsie Louise Jahnke (1931-1935), Ida Jane Hoffman (1935-1937), Emma Ida Schiebe (1937-1940), Anda Toporeck (1940-1941), Louise Wiebe (1943-1944), Eva Derksen (1945-1946), Ann Sametz (Fall 1946), Dorothea Reimer (Spring 1947), Margaret Warkentin (1947-1948), Velma Evelyn Pomrenke (1948-1950), Lillian Joyce Gibson (1951-1952), Jarvis Kischuk (1952-1954), Anne Margaret Kvoriak (1954-1956), David Friesen (1956-1957), Mary Eileen Murray (September 1957 - March 1959), Grace MacKenzie (April-June 1959), Frieda Agnes Klassen (1959-1960), Edith Lehmann (1960-1961), Bernice Pearl Friesen (1961-1962), Arnold Mekelburg (1962-1963), Helen Peters (1963-1966), and Christine Nichols (1966-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Municipal borrowing files (MA 0039), DeWet School District No. 2181, GR1799, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, DeWet School District No. 2181 - Daily Registers, GR0638, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, DeWet School District No. 2181 - Minute Book, GR0638, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 7 February 2020