Historic Sites of Manitoba: Deerhorn School No. 1338 (Municipality of West Interlake)
The Deerhorn School District was established formally in June 1905 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE3-21-5W in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. Around 1942, the original school building was replaced by a new structure on a different site. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The former school building is no longer present at the site and a new building has replaced it.
Among the teachers of Deerhorn School were Lillian Chisholm (1938-1939), Verla Tebbatts (1939-1941), Jennie Pascoe (1941), Lucy Stratychuk (1941-1942), Carol Sigurdson (1942-1943), Allison M. Watson (1943-1945), Gladys T. Longmuire (1945-1946), Blanche E. Cowham (1946-1947), Florence O. Westfall (1947-1948), John J. Enns (1948-1949), Celina Beaudin (1949-1950), Mary Andrushko (1950-1951), Nadine Dahl (1951-1952), Sylvia Ann Yakimyshen (1952-1953), Lorna E. Dack (1953-1954), Valerie Chyzzy (1954-1955), Louise A. Lane (1955-1956), Myrtle McDonald (1956-1958), E. Matheson (1958), D. Beauchemin (1958), Dora Osterbeck (1958-1960, 1963-1966), Mary Sviestrup (1960-1961), Sylvia Olafsen (1961-1963), Julia Roberecki (1966-1967), and Rosalind McIntosh (1967-1968).
Eriksdale East topographic map, 62G/16 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Holly Thorne and Harvey Rowland for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 April 2019
Back to top of page