This 2½-storey cream brick and half rounded wood shingle siding, Queen Anne Revival-style terrace building was at the northeast corner of Hargrave Street and Cumberland Avenue in Winnipeg. Measuring 50 feet by 120 feet, it was built in 1902 by the construction firm of the Ross Brothers at a cost of about $24,500, for owner William Henry Deacon (1853-1910). In its original configuation, the building contained seven residential apartments.
The building has since been demolished and the site is now occupied by a surface parking lot.
![]()
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89648, W97.14594
denoted by symbol in the map above
See also:
Manitoba Business: Ross Brothers
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 374/1902, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Winnipeg fire insurance map, #104 December 1955, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Henderson Directories Limited, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Property Details [391-403 Hargrave Street], Winnipeg Assessment and Taxation.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 15 August 2026
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | OtherInclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.Help us keep history alive!