Historic Sites of Manitoba: Daybreak School No. 376 (RM of Pipestone)
The Daybreak School District was organized formally in March 1885 and, as of late 1886, a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE22-9-27W in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. In early 1916, the school building was destroyed by fire and classes were held at the Daybreak Presbyterian Church for some two years until, in early 1918, local residents decided to consolidate a portion of their district with that of Woodnorth School. The remaining land was used to establish the Laggan School District.
Among the teachers who worked at Daybreak School through the years were William Edgar Pye, Miss V. M. Best (1916), and Miss S. A. Sproat.
A History of Hamiota Village and Municipalty by Hamiota Women’s Institute, 1953. [Miss S. A. Sproat]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 279-280. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 January 2020
Back to top of page