Two badly weathered signs along Lagimodiere Boulevard in Winnipeg, erected in 1971 by the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg, commemorate the Dawson Road, a project of the Canadian government started in 1868. Named for Simon James Dawson, the route preceded the railway expansion into the West, running from a trailhead at the North West Angle to the City of St. Boniface, and for years was a major transportation route into western Canada. The route remains as portions of present-day Speers Road, Lagimodiere Boulevard, Dawson Road North, and Dawson Road South.
Dawson Road Signs (October 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer
Site Location (lat/long): N49.85532, W97.04895
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Trailhead (Southeastern Manitoba)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Road Monument (Centrale Avenue, Ste. Anne)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Road Plaque (Whiteshell Provincial Park)
Memorable Manitobans: Simon James Dawson (1820-1902)
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 August 2017
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.