Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crump Block (846 Main Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick building on Main Street at Dufferin Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Daniel Smith and built in 1904 by the Manitoba Construction Company for realtor Percy A. Crump, at a cost of about $45,000. Measuring 78 feet by 96 feet, a Bank of Commerce branch and three stores occupied its main floor and the upper two floors contained 28 residential apartments.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 April 1904, page 2.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 578/1904, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“A new North End block,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 October 1904, page 25.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 March 2023