Originally known as the Bachman School District when it was organized in April 1901, it was named for local farmer William Bachman who donated an acre of land donated for a schoolhouse at SW30-13-8E in the Rural Municipality of Brokenhead. After a few years, the school burned, but a new one was erected at the same location. During the First World War, it was renamed Cromwell School due to anti-German sentiment. In January 1968, the district was reorganized into the Agassiz School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Cromwell School through the years were Mr. Chumer, Mr. Graban, Mr. Cooper, Jessie Ryback (1921), Margaret Tolosko (1943), Maurice P. Kalushka, and Walter C. Malenchak.
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.12131, W96.49723
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: William Bachman (1851-1925)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Cromwell School District No. 1117, School Formation File, Archives of Manitoba.
They Stopped at a Good Place: A History of the Beausejour, Brokenhead, Garson and Tyndall Area of Manitoba - 1875-1981 by the Beausejour-Brokenhead Historical Committee, 1982.
Page revised: 4 April 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!