Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crescent School No. 792 (Municipality of Two Borders)
The Crescent School District was established formally in January 1894. A one-room schoolhouse was built in 1896 on the northeast corner of 14-6-29 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders, operating there until 1951. It was replaced in 1951 by a school at SE23-6-29W which closed in 1957 and the remaining students went to Sinclair Consolidated School No. 1051. The former school building was moved to Reston where it was used as a golf clubhouse. The district was dissolved in August 1966. A commemorative monument at the original site was dedicated on 27 July 1986.
The teachers of Crescent School were Kate Stark, Vina C. Dobbyn, J. S. Caldwell, Annie F. Leeple, Bessie D. McNabb, Fred G. Teeple, Clara Smith, Frances Gillespie, Mattie Schofield, Edith C. Shaw, Lena E. Danard, Lilly LaPointe (1913), Stella Lovett, Stella Smith, Miss Millade, Florence McArthur, Miss Lillian Thompson, Elvira Collins, Lillian Brown, Margaret Mill, Miss Jennings, Margaret Gilchrist, Nellie Hamblin, Miss Myers, Jean Armstrong (1935-1936), Mildred McLaren, Annie Friesen, Isabel Miller (1945-1946), Joyce Harding, Catherine Jamieson, George Simpson, Norma Phillips, Ila Dela Colquohoun (1952), S. E. Muir, Lillian Maloney, and R. Don McBean (1957).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 87-88. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 December 2015
Back to top of page