Historic Sites of Manitoba: Craigie School No. 908 (Municipality of Russell-Binscarth)

The Craigie School District was organized formally in August 1897 and a school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 19-20-28 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Russell-Binscarth. The school closed in 1942 and its remaining students went to Russell School No. 273. The building is no longer present at the site but a monument commemorates it.

Craigie School

Craigie School (no date) by J. W. Clarke
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 21.

Craigie School commemorative monument

Craigie School commemorative monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.72772, W101.36901
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!