Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cory Corners (Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)

A monument, erected in what is now the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa in October 1982, commemorates members of the Cory family who homesteaded in the vicinity. Richard Cory plowed the first furrow, in June 1879, at 19-7-17W. His sons R. W. Cory and T. A. Cory worked 24-7-18W and 25-7-18W, respectively. His brother Thomas Cory built the first modern granary, in June 1888, at 3-7-17W.

Cory Corners Monument

Cory Corners Monument (August 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.59076, W99.77968
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 6 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.