Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Corrie School No. 827 (RM of St. Francois Xavier)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at

The Corrie School District was established formally in December 1894 from catchment area largely of the Morgan School District. A schoolhouse was located on Lot 155 or Lot 157 [sources vary] within RM of St. Francois Xavier into 1909, and later on Lot 65 (1913). The school ceased operating in 1922. In March of that year, the municipal council heard a petition from local ratepayers wanting to divide the district. Arbitration in October dissolved the district, however that decision was revised in December 1922, and the latter decision made final effective as of January 1923. The districts catchment area was divided up between St. Francois Xavier School West No. 1336 and St. Francois Xavier School Centre No. 1027. The schoolhouse was soonafter sold to the Barrickman Hutterite Colony.

Among the teachers of Corrie School were Herbert W. Heuband (Spring 1895 - Spring 1897), K. M. A. Clements (Fall 1897), Mary Matthew (Spring-Fall 1898), W. S. Francis (Spring 1899), G. M. Hicks (Fall 1899), Frederick M. Hicks (Spring 1900), Robert Doucette (Fall 1900 - Fall 1901), records not available (Spring 1902 - Fall 1904), Josie E. Tait (Spring 1905), Flora A. Taylor (Fall 1905 - Fall 1906 & January-February 1907, wife of Charles Britton), Ethel Thomas (March-June 1907), Patrick J. McKenna (September 1907 - December 1908 & January-June 1909), Martha M. Bain (January 1909), Ethal [Ethel?] Maud Dodd (August 1909 - June 1913, wife of John De Courey Stretton), Margery Burrows (Fall 1913 - Spring 1914), Ethel Viola Foxwell (Fall 1914 - Spring 1915), Florence Smith (Fall 1915 - Spring 1916), May Lally (Fall 1916), Cecil James Hutchings (Spring 1917), did not operate (Fall 1917 - Fall 1919), Vera McEachern (Spring 1920 & Fall 1921), and did not operate (Fall 1920 - Spring 1921 & Spring-Fall 1922).

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.93626, W97.58656
denoted by symbol on the map above


Marriage [Flora Taylor & Charles Britton, Ethel Maud Doak & John De Courey Stretton] registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.

Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.

School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Corrie School District No. 827, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Corrie School District No. 827 - Daily Registers, GR11575, Archives of Manitoba.

Our First Hundred Years: A History of St. Francois-Xavier Municipality. St. Francois-Xavier Municipality Historical Committee, 1980. Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S234.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 15 July 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.