The Cornwall School District was organized formally in April 1901 and a school building was erected on the northeast quarter of 18-11-5 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. The original building was replaced in 1941 and, after the school closed around 1964, it was renovated into a private residence. That building is not longer present at the site, having been replaced by a modern home.
The second Cornwall School (1941)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 63.
The former Cornwall School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1272.
Site of the former Cornwall School (March 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.92972, W96.88844
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!