A monument stands at the original site of Connaught School, established in May 1912 and named for the Duke of Connaught, the third son of Queen Victoria and Canada’s Governor General at the time. A one-room wood frame building was erected here, on the northeast corner of 33-3-14 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. The school served the educational needs of the district until January 1965 when it was consolidated with Baldur Consolidated School No. 667. The building was moved north of Glenboro and renovated into a private residence.
Among the teachers of Connaught School were R. O. P. Bolton and Albert Buttress (1912).
Connaught School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 6.
Connaught School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.26547, W99.29189
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (RM of Argyle)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 February 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.