Historic Sites of Manitoba: Concordia Hospital (1095 Concordia Avenue, Winnipeg)
Located at the corner of the old Highway 59 (now Molson Street) and Concordia Road (now Avenue) in Winnipeg, the present Concordia Hospital was launched with a ground-breaking ceremony by Labour Minister A. Russell Paulley on 27 November 1971. It opened to the public in December 1974 following an official unveiling on 23 November 1974, attended by Premier Ed Schreyer and Mayor Stephen Juba. Based on designs by the architectural firm of Smith Carter, construction was completed at a cost of around $7.5 million. Expanded upon several times, this location replaced the former Desalaberry Street site.
Photos & Coordinates
“Concordia excavation okay given,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 November 1971, page 3.
“Community clinic at Concordia Hospital should be under way by fall: Schreyer,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 November 1971 page 3.
“Two-phased government,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 December 1971, page 28.
“Old Concordia may become care home,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 April 1975, page 52.
Concordia Hospital: Faith, Health, and Community: 75 Years, 1928-2003 by Abe J. Dueck, 2003. [copy held by Nathan Kramer]
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 19 April 2020
Back to top of page