This two-storey brick building on Manitoba Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Max Zev Blankstein and built in 1914. In its original configuration, known as the Cohen Block, the building contained eight apartments. It was renamed the Cressy Block in 1919 and, around 1921, became a Jewish Nursing Home.
In 1927 a mortuary was added to the building and, in the 1930s, it became the Tiferes Israel Synagogue. At some point the building was demolished and the site is now occupied by another building.
Jewish Nursing Home (no date)
Source: Jewish Historical Society of Western Canada Collection #1024, Archives of Manitoba
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91608, W97.14111
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Max Zev Blankstein (1874-1931)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 15/1927, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Page revised: 29 November 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!