Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clear Creek School No. 2147 (Municipality of Harrison Park)

The Clear Creek School District was organized formally in March 1926 and a wood-frame, one-room schoolhouse, built by the Baptist Mission for the nearby Clear Lake Indian Band around 1921 and purchased for $250 in 1926, operated at the northwest corner of NW31-19-19W in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. In 1956, the original school building was replaced with a new structure. The school closed in 1967 and the district was dissolved the following year. The former school was moved to the schoolyard at Erickson. Its land became part of the Rolling River School Division. A commemorative monument stands at the former school site.

The teachers of Clear Creek School were Miss Renee Keston (1926-1928), Margaret English (1928), Alma Wilton (1929), Frank Wilson (1929-1932), Mr. Brown (1930), Pearl Smith (1932-1936), Alice Mitchelson (1936-1937), Lyall Robertson (1937-1939), Mrs. Lillian Gregorash (1938), Phoebe Belcher (1939-1941), Allan Hayward (1941-1942), Lillian Beddome (1942), Margaret Barager (1943), Violet Gunnarson (1943-1944), Leslie E. Grace (1944-1946), Rose Millinchuk (1946-1947), Mrs. Barbara Besso (1947-1948), Mike Zink (1948-1949, 1950-1951), Peter Hiebert (1949-1950), Joe Swidinski (1951), Mrs. Lois Olinyk (1952), Walter Kiliwnik (1952-1955), Mrs. Helen Clark (1955-1956), Florence Steward (1956), Dorothy Jones (1957), Joe Kustiak (1957-1961), Mrs. Margaret Curwen (1961-1965), Margaret Sayer (1965-1966), Margaret Horwood (1966), Mrs. Leona Mackedenski (1966), Barry Boch (1966), and Mrs. Germaine Miko (1966-1967).

Clear Creek School

Clear Creek School (no date) by W. C. Hartley
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 103.

Clear Creek School commemorative monument

Clear Creek School commemorative monument (July 2017)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.68276, W100.11146
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Pioneers and Progress Along Clear Creek - The History of the Clear Creek #2147 and Lake Audy School District #2183 by Clear Creek History Committee, 1984.

A History of Sandy Lake and District, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.S32 His]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 25 April 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.