Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elding School / Clarkleigh Consolidated School No. 1909 (RM of Coldwell)
Known originally as Elding School District No. 1659 when it was established in February 1913, a few months later it became Clarkleigh Consolidated School No. 1659. A school building operated at 27-18-5W in the Rural Municipality of Coldwell. In August 1921, it became Clarkleigh Consolidated School No. 1909 when it was consolidated with Campion School No. 1909, which had formerly operated a school at NW34-18-4W. After the school closed in 1967, the building was renovated into a private residence which, as of 2013, remains at the site. Those wishing to arrange a tour should contact the owners at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Among the teachers who worked at Clarkleigh School through the years were Maria Todd (1888), Arthur Boole (1889), Rose Paul (1889), Tom Seaman (1890), Francis Mary Hayward (1891), Nettie Sage (1892), Mr. Weaver, Miss Mitchell ancl N. J. Kielly (1893), A. H. Ball (1894-1896), Mr. Alpin (1897-1898), Eliza Ferguson and Mr. Nybler (1899), L. Swalwell (1900), Mr. Avory (1901), Lena Dunfield (1902), Emily Anderson (1903-1904), Freda Harold (1905), Frank Rowe (1906), Arthur Rose (1907), Marjorie Smitheman (1908), Mr. Elkhorn and John A. McKenzic (1909), Ella Denby (1910), A. C. Goulding, Miss Shewfelt, Isiah Rudy, Mr. Goodridge, Miss Jennings, J. H. Peadon, Miss Martinson, Miss Johnson; Miss Young, Miss Bogie, Miss Olafson, Miss Inster, Miss Woods, Sella Johnson, Miss Westman, Svava Johnson, Miss Restwo, Mr. and Mrs. Punter, C. McVey, B. Whitmore, F. Nicholson, G. L. Marsh, Mrs. Hokanson, Miss Gunn, Miss Rusenel, Archie Harder, Herbert Brown, Mrs. Doris Nikkel, Hazel (Taylor) Hartman, Helen Lowen, Mrs. Parkes, Ethel Tarn, Grace Hjalmarson, Harvey Barkman, Mary Rempel, Mrs. Dufault, Mr. Leonard, Mrs. Mundy, Mrs. Clark, Mrs. Doll, Mrs. King, Miss Walker, George Sawatzky, Mr. Molchenko, Garth Field, Penny Schmidt, Mrs. Reading, Mrs. Barr, Mrs. Fidler, Mr. Goerky, Cliff Baline, Mr. Ramgoolen, and Mrs. Kachkowski.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Wagons to Wings: History of Lundar and Districts, 1872-1980 by Lundar and District Historical Society, c1980.
We thank Petra Reimann for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 January 2015
Back to top of page