Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chlopan Block / Ukrainian National Home (580-590 Burrows Avenue, Winnipeg)
Located at the southeast corner of Burrows Avenue and McGregor Street in Winnipeg, the origins of the building begin with Austrian-born Wasyl “William” Chlopan (1873-1955).
Chlopan, born 1 February 1873, arrived in Canada with his wife Eufrosinia [Efrusina/Rozalia/Rosy/Rosie] Kulsla (1880-1961) and their ten children: John Chlopan (1898-1982), Anna “Annie” Chlopan (1901-1992, wife of Mr. Pinkos), Fred Chlopan (1902-?), Peter Chlopan (1906-1961), Mary Chlopan (c1907-1908), Valdmier Chlopan (1910-?), Willie Chlopan (1911-?), Walter Chlopan (1913-1988), Elisabeth Chlopan (c1914-?), and Roy Edward Chlopan (1920-1975).
The family arrived at Quebec City in 1907, travelled by train to Winnipeg via Montreal, and settled in the North End at 593 Selkirk Avenue. In 1909, Chlopan commissioned a two-storey building with residential space on the upper level and commercial space on the ground level. Architectural plans were provided by fellow Austrian immigrant Johann “John” Schwab, with Chlopan undertaking its construction at a cost of about $6,000. The building measured 31 feet along Burrows and 52 feet along McGregor. The family operated a corner store grocery, rented out a small commercial suite along Burrows, and lived on the second floor. For several years, Chlopan would also operate an unlicensed dance hall and event space at 590 Burrows, for which he was fined $50 at Winnipeg Police Court in October 1913.
In the spring of 1912, the building was expanded significantly. Chlopan hired architect and contractor David Abramovitch to design and construct a two-storey apartment on the property immediately to the southeast. The structure was to measure 54 feet by 56 feet with eight residential suites, and planned to cost some $40,000. However, construction appears to have not been completed, and may not have been even started. Less than four months later, another two-storey building was commissioned for the same area. This structure measured 40 feet deep by 66 feet along its Burrows frontage and had commercial units along the ground floor with four residential suites atop. It was designed and built by J. Nosik.
The connected structures became known as the Chlopan Block, with the suites on the second floors of both buildings used as apartments, and commercial units including a grocer, pharmacist, barber, and the National Trading Company, on the main floor facing Burrows. The Chlopan Block name was, however, short-lived as Chlopan and his family moved to the United States around 1919. The complex was next used as a Ukrainian Assembly Hall and quarters for the Ukrainian National Home, also known as the Ukrainian Peoples Home.
Use of the structure remained largely unchanged into the 1960s. Since re-numbered as 580-586 Burrows Avenue, the buildings have residential suites to the present day.
Photos & Coordinates
Birth [Valdmier Chlopan & Walter Chlopan] and death [Mary Chlopan] registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
1916 Canada census, Library and Archives Canada.
“Boost figures of building permits,” Manitoba Free Press, 11 April 1912, page 18.
“City and general [Dance Hall without a license],” Manitoba Free Press, 22 October 1913, page 20.
“Drunk robber goes to jail for one year,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 February 1914, page 1.
“"Autobiography" by Annie Chlopan,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 December 1914, page 24.
“Mortgage company is given charter,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 August 1915, page 33.
“Diversity of views about bilingualism,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 January 1916, page 3.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 235n The National Trading Company Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.
Court of Queen’s Bench Winding Up Act pockets (ATG 0015), 163 National Trading Company Limited, GR0195, Archives of Manitoba.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 440/1906, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 246/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 699/1912, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2756/1912, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2464/1932, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Public profile search [William Chlopan], Geni.com
Find a Postal Code, Canada Post.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 26 November 2022