Historic Sites of Manitoba: Charlebois Heritage Museum (108 First Street West, The Pas)
This small chapel, built in 1897 by cleric Ovide Charlebois, was the first Roman Catholic church in Manitoba’s north. It became a base from which Charlebois undertook pioneering missionary work among the region’s Aboriginal peoples. Built using logs floated down the Saskatchewan River from Cumberland House, and glass and shingles brought from Prince Albert, the structure was replaced by a new facility in 1918. It has been refurbished as part of the Manitoba Prairie Churches project.
Charlebois Heritage Museum (July 2012)
Source: Alan Mason
Site Location (lat/long): N53.82810, W101.25209
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Prairie Churches Project / Manitoba Prairie Icons Project
Charlebois Chapel, 108 First Street West, The Pas, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 October 2016
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.