Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chapman Family Grain Elevator (Municipality of Riverdale)

This small grain elevator near Kirkham’s Bridge in the Municipality of Riverdale was constructed around the turn of the 20th century by farmer Robert Belfield Chapman (1860-1923). It is believed that Chapman received an award for its design, which was copied on other Manitoba farms, for which he received a prize of cement to construct its foundation and pit. The property was rented out in the 1990s but remains in family ownership.

Chapman Family Grain Elevator

Chapman Family Grain Elevator (September 2021)
Source: Jean McManus

Chapman Family Grain Elevator

Chapman Family Grain Elevator (September 2021)
Source: Jean McManus

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.91405, W100.13523
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.

We thank Terry and Susan Linto for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Jean McManus and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 October 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.