Historic Sites of Manitoba: Central Grain Company Grain Elevator (172 Archibald Street, Winnipeg)
Located in Winnipeg, the original grain elevator upon this St. Boniface site was commissioned by the Abram Bogoch of the Manitoba Feed Supply Company and situated upon Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) property. Construction began in July 1938 with work carried out by the contracting firm of Rogers Brown & Company of Belmont. The metal-clad structure had a capacity of 30,000 bushels and was built of heavy timbers. It was completed within a year at a cost of $35,000, and around that same time came under the ownership of the Central Grain Company Limited. The site was originally indexed as 682 Archibald Street, prior to address re-alignment. In the spring of 1941, a new $7,500 grain storage annex increased the storage capacity. On 27 October 1943, a large fire destroyed much of the main elevator facility, with efforts of both the St. Boniface Fire Department and Winnipeg Fire Departments saving around 300,000 bushels stored in adjacent buildings.
The grain elevator was rebuilt and operated until a lightning strike, and subsequent fire, completely levelled the complex on 1 July 1966. Fully rebuilt shortly thereafter, it was again operated by the Central Grain Company, with the site included sections known as the New Plant, Seed Plant, and Blue Annex. The elevator was demolished by Rakowski Cartage & Wrecking Limited between early spring and summer 2017.
Also located on the property, nestled in a small grove immediately to the northeast of the elevator complex along the CPR lines, were located two abandoned CN Railway boxcars. Both derelict rail cars were removed from the site prior to demolition of the elevator.
Photos & Coordinates
“Grain elevator,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 July 1938, page 15.
“Tax question settled, grant permit to build,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 July 1938, page 8.
“New grain elevator being constructed,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 July 1938, page 11.
“Home-building spurt [Construction notes],” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 July 1938, page 2.
“84 houses are being built in Winnipeg, ten over this date last year [Building grain elevator],” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 July 1938, page 7.
“On charge of theft,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 July 1940, page 19.
“Three are charged with grain theft,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 July 1940, page 9.
“Construction in St. Boniface,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 March 1941, page 6.
[Photo caption; Fire swept through Central Grain Company’s elevator ...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 October 1943, page 1.
“Fire sweeps elevator full of grain,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 October 1943, page 17.
“Isaac Bogoch, local feed firm operator, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 November 1948, page 20.
“Lightning, fire raze elevator,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 July 1966, page 1.
“Firemen remain as elevator still smolders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 July 1966, page 17.
“Guay hits broadcast on fire,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 July 1966, page 27.
“Fire damages grain elevator,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 May 1969, page 26.
“Chaff from mill irks area residents,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 June 1970, page 55.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 15 February 2020