This two-storey brick building on William Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 50 feet by 60 feet, was designed by local architect Johann Schwab and built in 1906 by contractor Louis A. Pachal at a cost of about $17,000. Commercial space occupied most of the main floor while residential apartments were on the second floor.
Memorable Manitobans: Johann “John” Schwab (1864-1931)
Memorable Manitobans: Louis A. Pachal (1871-1925)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 968/1906, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 8 January 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.