Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carlingville Post Office Sign (Municipality of Prairie View)

This marker in the Municipality of Prairie View commemorates the community of Carlingville, which existed here from 1884 to 1901. When the Canadian Pacific Railway arrived in the area in 1900 and a railway station north of here was named Crandall, the post office was moved to it and renamed. According to Geographic Names of Manitoba, the name derived from the Carling Beveridge Company, which provided financial assistance for establishing the first school in this vicinity.

Carlingville Post Office Sign

Carlingville Post Office Sign (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.13721, W100.78295
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.