Historic Sites of Manitoba: Canada Building (352 Donald Street, Winnipeg)
This seven-storey building was designed and built in 1910 by the J. McDiarmid Company. Through the years, the main floor has provided space for a variety of small merchants, including watchmakers, tailors, barbers, and photographers. Companies on upper floors have included the Dominion Business College, Manitoba Power Commission, James Richardson and Sons, Dominion Bridge Company, Air Canada, Manitoba Housing and Renewal Corporation, and Manitoba Heart Foundation. In 1924, McDiarmid sold the building to lawyer Allan Bronfman. Twenty-five years later, he sold it to Brian Investments Limited. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
In 2014, the Canada Building received a Commercial Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
Canada Building (352 Donald Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, May 2003.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 May 2017
Back to top of page