Historic Sites of Manitoba: Budnik Block (594-600 Selkirk Avenue, Winnipeg)
This two-storey brick brick and stone building on Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg was constructed in four phases, all designed by local architect Max Zev Blankstein, for owner Onufrey Budnik (1883-1960).
The first floor of the east part was completed first, in 1911. Measuring 23 feet by 46 feet, it was built by contractor J. Milovitch at a cost of about $3,000. The second phase was added in 1920 at a cost of about $8,000. The third phase was added in 1924 as a one-story addition at a cost of about $6,000. The west part, measuring 33 feet by 76 feet, was completed last in 1929 at a cost of about $15,000. The Budnik family maintained ownership of the block until 1986.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 98/1911, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 417/1920, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 289/1924, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Permits run $350,000 ahead of last season,” Manitoba Free Press, 25 May 1929, page 20.
“On Selkirk Avenue,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 August 1929, page 22.
Obituary [Onufrey Budnik], Winnipeg Tribune, 28 March 1960, page 22.
“Onufrey Budnyk (1883-1959): A North End Winnipeg Pioneer” by David Bellhouse, no date.
Budnik Block, 594-600 Selkirk Avenue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, December 2009.
Max Blankstein: Architect by Murray Peterson, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation, 2022.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Jordan Makichuk, Gordon Goldsborough, and George Penner.
Page revised: 7 March 2023