Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bruce School No. 170 (RM of Rockwood)
The Bruce School District was established in June 1884 and a stone, one-room schoolhouse operated at SW34-14-1E in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. The district was dissolved in 1914 and its area became part of the Balmoral Consolidated School District. The former school building was renovated into a private residence and was later used as a granary. It was still standing at the site until around 2000 when it was demolished.
The teachers who worked at Bruce School included Edward W. Montgomery (1885), James A. Gordon (1886), Richard Weir (1886-1889), Jenny Wells (1890-1891), Bertha Oatway (1891), William Emsall (1892-1893), William H. Stratton (1894-1895), Elizabeth Cooper (1896-1897, 1899, 1900-1901), Ethel Stratton (1897-1898), John McCormack (1900), Ellen Inkster (1902-1905), Catherine McNabb (1906), Miss A. L. McCullough (1907), Eva Brady (1907-1909), Clara E. Poyser (1910-1912), Nan Morrow (1912), Dorothy Clayton (1913), and Isabella Inkster (1914).
Stonewall West topographic map, 62I/3 West, Edition 1, 1952, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
“Trail A-OK,” Stonewall Argus, 23 October 2000, page 4.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 December 2015
Back to top of page