Historic Sites of Manitoba: Broomhill School No. 985 (Municipality of Two Borders)
The Broomhill School District was established in January 1899. A building was erected at NW12-5-28W in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. The first school building was destroyed by fire in June 1936. A new structure was ready for resumption of classes that fall. It closed in June 1957 and merged with Hathaway School No. 717, located in the nearby hamlet of Broomhill, to become Broomhill Consolidated School No. 2363. The former school building was moved to Broomhill to be used as a teacherage then later as a community centre. In 1963, local trustees purchased a temporary classroom from the Antler River School Division, moved it to the site, and renovated it with indoor washrooms. It was later sold and moved to the Pipestone area. A monument is situated at the former school site.
The teachers of Broomhill School were Sarah McCullough (1899), Helen Macpherson (1900-1901), S. F. Bolster (1905), C. Annie Dohaney (1906), Ed Hart (1907), Amelia Wallace (1907), George Q. Snider (1908), Eleanor Gillespie (1909), George F. Snyder (1909), Lillie M. LaPointe (1910-1911), Rebecca J. Prosen (1912), R. W. Scott (1912), F. A. Edmonds (1912), Dolina Campbell (1912), Mabel Leslie (1914), Anastasia Brissette (1914-1915), Margaret McClelland (1916), Pearl A. Brown (1916-1918), Laura E. Shanks (1918), Irene A. Macdonald (1919-1920), L. B. Thomas (1920), Eva May Grierson (1921-1923, 1926-1928), Myrtle M. Dennison (1923-1925), Margaret R. Forbes (1925-1926), Amy A. Davidson (1928-1929), Minnie E. Oberlin (1929-1932), Gladys Muriel Ray (1932-1934), Jessie Irene M. Lamont (1934-1935), Eileen Margaert Crowe (1935-1936), Ethel Rosa Barnes (1936-1938), Jean Rusk (1938-1939), Mildred Richards Dowd (1939-1942), Grace Mayhew (1942), Winnie Chapin (1943), Olive E. Halls (1943-1946), Jean Fletcher (1944), Evelyn Stacey (1946-1947), Mary Tratch (1948-1949), Darlene McKenzie (1949-1950), Clinton Hyslop (1950), Lorraine Chamberlain (1951), Irene R. Oberlin (1951-1952), Lillian Anderson (1952-1953), Ernest Crenek (1953-1954), Esther Alice Talman (1954-1955), Olive Mae Murray (1955-9156), Mrs. Lent (1956), Mildred R. Jones (1957), and Lillian Parabec (1957).
The teachers of Broomhill Consolidated School were Ken Berkis (1958-1959), Miss Kay Flynn (1959-1961), Mrs. Mary Edwards (1961-1962), Miss Lena Copeland (1963-1965), and Mrs. Jack Spence (1965-1966).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]
We thank Lynn Jones for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 January 2021