Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brookside School No. 1546 (RM of St. Clements)
The Brookside School District was established in October 1910 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE29-14-6E in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. In 1966, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Happy Thought Consolidated School District No. 1452 and later the Lord Selkirk School Division. In 2018, a commemorative sign was installed at the former school site.
The teachers of Brookside School were John R. Williams (1912-1913), V. Mironko (1914), Louise Maddin (1914-1915), W. Sr. Hollies (1915), O. E. Maddin (1915), Nicholas Punak (1915), John Novak (1916), Nichalos Punak (1917-1918), Stephen H. Bilinsky (1918-1919), Peter G. Kuhn (1919-1921), William Joba (1921-1922), Peter Kuhn (1922-1923), Miss Ada Brooke (1923-1924), Mary Runge (1925-1926), Cora Wiegand (1926-1927), Ernestine Helen Matheson (1927-1929), May Millicent Mawer (1929-1930), Clara Lucaw (1930-1933), Joseph Frederick (1933-1939), Miss Jean Parfaniuk (1939-1941), Fred Klym (1941-1946), Irene Kordalchuk (1947), Mary Irene Kalinski (1947-1948), Jean Sophie Yarema (1948-1949), May Margaret Zook (1949-1950), Olga Skrumeda (1950-1951), Judith Jean Zook (1951-1952), Mary Ann Mandryk (1952- 1951), Rulh Schwarz (1953-1954), Rosie Bazan (1954-1956), Elsie Gutowski (1956-1957), Meroslawa Horbas (1957), Edith Pruden (1958), Sadie R. Arksey (1958-1959), Gary Pirtsch (1959-1960), Anne Dueck (1960), R. Katazinski (1961-1963), Elaine Parker (1963-1964), Neltie Lysaichuk (1964-1965), and Elizabeth Smolinski (1965).
Selkirk topographic map, 62I/2, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Brodie School, Thalberg, St. Clements Heritage.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 August 2018
Back to top of page