Historic Sites of Manitoba: Broadway Court (251 Broadway, Winnipeg)
A four-storey brick and stone block at the northwest corner of Broadway and Garry Street in Winnipeg, measuring 115 feet by 86 feet, was designed by local architect Alexander D. Melville and constructed in 1906 by Geoffrey Hitzler Walton at a cost of about $75,000. The building contained 34 apartments in its original configuration. It was demolished in February 1982.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 754/1906, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 4132/1930, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 April 2022