Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Breidavik-Hnausa Memorial Monument (Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton)

In 1876, about 35 Icelandic families settled the Lake Winnipeg shoreline between Arnes (Drunken Point) and Sandy Bar, which they called Breidavik (Broad Bay). In 1889, Hnausa post office was established in the home of Rev. Magnus J. Skaptason from Hnausar in Iceland. A trading and shipping centre was founded by Stefan and Johannes Sigurdson in 1890. Hnausa was the named adopted for Baldur School and Jellicoe, the Canadian Pacific Railway siding.

Breidavik-Hnausa Memorial Monument

Breidavik-Hnausa Memorial Monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.90526, W96.99424
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 19 June 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.