The third (or, by some sources, the fourth) facility to be known as Brandon House, a fur-trading post of the Hudson’s Bay Company, was established at this site in October 1828 by Chief Trader Francis Heron. It was abandoned in 1832.
In the early 20th century, physician David A. Stewart determined the approximate location of Brandon House from HBC records and, along with fellow physicians S. J. S. Peirce and C. A. Baragar, he confirmed the location. Baragar, the President of the Brandon Rotary Club, enlisted club members to erect a permanent marker at the site. A fieldstone cairn was dedicated at a well-attended ceremony on 7 October 1928, for the 100th anniversary of the post’s founding.
Early Assiniboine Trading Posts of the Souris Mouth Group, 1785-1832: Amplification of a Paper Read Before the Society, November 1928 by David A. Stewart
MHS Transactions, Series 2, No. 5, Published 1930
The Fur Trade Posts of the Souris-Mouth Area by Alice E. Brown
MHS Transactions, Series 3, 1961-1962 Season
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon House No. 1 (Municipality of Glenboro-South Cypress)
Obituary [Charles Arthur Baragar], American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 93, No. 3, 1936.
This page was prepared by Ken Storie and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 October 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.