Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boyan St. Mary’s Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery (Municipality of Ethelbert)

The first burial in this cemetery in the Municipality of Ethelbert occurred in 1930. A church formerly at the site, constructed by congregants between 1927 and 1928, was consecrated in 1930 by Rev. Archbishop John Teodorowich. There was no permanent priest associated with the church. Instead, priests from nearby communities conducted services a few Sundays each year. Among them were Rev. S. Hrebeniuk (Dauphin), Rev. John Mayba (Dauphin), Rev. H. Hrycyna (Dauphin), Rev. D. F. Stratychuk (Dauphin), Rev. G. Turzanski (Pine River), Rev. J. Magas (Pine River), Rev. J. Kulish (Ethelbert), Rev. I. Tryfyn (Ethelbert), Rev. T. Hluchaniuk (Ethelbert), Rev. W. Kokorudz (Ethelbert), Rev. W. Aponiuk (Ethelbert), and Rev. M. Derewianka (Ethelbert). When a priest was unavailable, services were overseen by local Cantors, including P. Burdeny, H. Burdeny, N. Burdeniuk, and Alex Karpiak.

After the church closed permanently and was deconsecrated in 1979, the building was moved to Selo Ukraina in 1982. A monument commemorates it at the original site.

The former Boyan Ukrainian Orthodox Church, now at Selo Ukraina

The former Boyan Ukrainian Orthodox Church, now at Selo Ukraina (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of the former Boyan Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Interior of the former Boyan Ukrainian Orthodox Church (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Boyan Ukrainian Orthodox Church commemorative monument

Boyan Ukrainian Orthodox Church commemorative monument (May 2019)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.50731, W100.53332
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.

“Historic Boyan church lays permanent roots,” Dauphin Herald, 24 December 1996, page A12.

We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 July 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.