The Borshaw School District was established in April 1903 and, within the next year or so, a wood frame school building was constructed at NW27-28-22W in what is now the Municipality of Ethelbert. It operated until around 1967. Its catchment area became part of the Duck Mountain School Division. The former schoolhouse was modified and is used for storage at the site.
Among the teachers of Borshaw School between 1956 and 1963 were M. Burym, Mr. Smith, A. Ezowski, V. Seniuk, and L. Romanetz.
The original Borshaw School building at left with the teacherage at right (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 81.
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.43006, W100.48696
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Michel for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 March 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.