Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sobieski School / Borden School No. 1266 (RM of Mossey River)

Known originally as Sobieski School when it was established in 1904, the school was renamed Borden in commemoration of Robert Borden, the Canadian Prime Minister between 1911 and 1920. A one-classroom wood frame building was erected on the northwest quarter of 4-29-19 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River. At some point, the original building was replaced by the present structure which, after the school closed in 1967, was converted into a private workshop and storage facility.

The original Borden School building

The original Borden School building (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 88.

Borden School

Borden School (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 88.

The former Borden School building

The former Borden School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 793.

The front of the former Borden School building

The front of the former Borden School building (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Borden School in use as a storage and workshop building

Borden School in use as a storage and workshop building (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.46297, W100.08791
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mossey River Schools Monument (Fork River, RM of Mossey River)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nedrob School No. 1934 (Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 June 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.