Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bohdan School No. 1745 (Municipality of Ethelbert)
The Bohdan School District was organized formally in April 1914 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the northwest corner of SW30-28-22W in the Rural Municipality of Ethelbert. The district was dissolved in 1966 and its catchment area became part of the Ethelbert Consolidated School District and later the Duck Mountain School Division.
Among the teachers of Bohdan School were Alex Burtnyk (1917), Andrew Hrudka, Andrew Potoroka, George A. Hutzal (1918), Michael Malkovich (1918-1919), John Ferance (1919-1920), Annie Laird (1919-1922), Michael Hnatiuk (1922-1923), Waiter Alexander Kostiuk (1923-1925), Daniel Negrych (1925-1926), M. Cordelia Burgess (1926-1927, 1930-1934), H. V. Gregg (1927-1928), Sarah A. McLean (1928-1929), Alexander McLean (1929-1930), Nell Sheliuk (1934-1939), Mary Rose Balak (1939-1940), Elizabeth Mary Zaplitny (1940-1941), Peter Danyliuk (1941-1942), Mary Kathleen Masciuch (1942-1943), Helen Burtnyk (1943-1944), Stanley Swiderski (1944-1945), Olesia Kozak (1945-1946), Anne Medwid (1945-1946), John Alexander Karpiak (1946-1947), Nadia Burdeny (1947-1948), Stephen Woloschuk (1948-1949), Shirley S. Dow (1949-1950), Olesia Seniuk (1950-1951), Kathleen Elizabeth Morgan (1951-1952), and Mrs. Marian Pesiak (1952-1953).
School District Formation Files [Bohdan School District No. 1745], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Ties That Bind: A History of Ethelbert and District by Ethelbert History Book Committee, 1985, page 46.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 February 2019
Back to top of page