Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bluevale School No. 1141 (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)

The Bluevale School District was established formally in July 1901 and it operated a schoolhouse at SE8-3-20W in what is now the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton. The building was moved to the southwest quarter in 1948. It was replaced by a new structure opened officially on 4 November 1960. The school closed in 1967 and the building stood empty until being sold and moved to the Lake Max area to be renovated into a private residence. A metal sign commemorates the school at its earlier site.

Among the teachers of Bluevale School were Miss Shaw, Miss Nevin, Roy Johnson, Miss Marg Patterson, Miss Kay Goodchild, Miss Emily Goodchild, Miss Mabel Sopp, Miss Helen Shields, Miss Norma Murray, Miss Jean Balderston, Miss Joyce Mason, Miss Eva Patterson, Miss Ruby Ferguson, Miss Edith Nichol, Miss Helen Buchanan, Miss Elsie Wiens (1947-1950), Mrs. Peter Derksen (1952-1954), Marianne Kliever (1954-1956), Miss Claire May (1956-1958), Mrs. Lawrence (1958-1959), Miss Alice Beare (1960), Miss Grace Toews, Harvey Sawatzky, Miss Frieda Hildebrand (1964-1966), Harvey Sawatzky (1967).

Bluevale School

Bluevale School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 65.

Bluevale School

The former Bluevale School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 760.

Bluevale School

A metal sign marks the former site of Bluevale School (September 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.19665, W100.14917
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain History Committee, c1981, page 184.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 16 January 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.