The Birdina School District operated a one-room schoolhouse at this site in the Rural Municipality of Alonsa from 1918 to 1952, whereupon it was moved to a site nearby. A monument commemorates the former school.
Birdina School (no date) by R. M. Stevenson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 59.
Birdina School monument (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.86695, W99.06639
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Birdina School No. 1915 (RM of Alonsa)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 January 2014
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.