This sign in Binscarth, in the Municipality of Russell-Binscarth, commemorates the Binscarth Colony Farm, established in 1882 by G. L. Smellie on the southeast quarter of 35-19-28 west of the Principal Meridian. Intended to encourage settlers to come to this area of Manitoba, the farm was moved south to the present location of Binscarth when the Manitoba and North Western Railway bypassed its original location. The residential building near the sign is the former Presbyterian manse for the colony, built in 1883 and moved to this site in 1886, with modern renovations made in 1996-1998.
Binscarth Colony Farm Sign and Manse (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.62572, W101.28308
denoted by symbol on the map above
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 January 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!